The COVID-19 pandemic has caused a massive increase in stress and mental health due to the health risks associated with the virus and its economic effects. Many are facing constant fear and anxiety, all while trying to maintain social distance from one another. Feelings of isolation further escalate the stress, and anxiety levels rise every day.
Dealing with these overwhelming emotions can lead to other health issues, including insomnia and panic attacks. According to the American Psychiatric Association, 48% of Americans are feeling anxious about getting COVID-19.
Many people want to find relief and turn to alcohol or other unhealthy substances to alleviate fear and anxiety. Thankfully, CBD offers a natural way to ease the mental health effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
What is CBD
Cannabidiol (CBD) is derived from the cannabis plant, and unlike another component of the plant, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD has no psychoactive effects.
CBD affects the body by interacting directly with the cannabinoid receptors that form part of the endocannabinoid system. These receptors are located throughout the body, including the brain and immune cells. CBD delivers numerous health benefits for both the mind and the body.
Mental Health Benefits of CBD
CBD helps with mental health issues, including:
- Anxiety — This mental health issue is usually treated with pharmaceutical drugs that often come with severe side effects and drug dependency, leading to prescription drug addiction.
- Depression — Depression is also treated with prescribed antidepressant drugs that have unwanted side effects. These drugs also take a toll on the body’s organs when they break down these synthetic substances.
- Insomnia — Due to the overwhelming anxiety and depression caused by the pandemic, sleep disturbances have been on the rise. Still, with the calming effects from CBD, those who suffer can finally find relief without taking addictive pharmaceutical drugs.
Physical Health Benefits of CBD
Our immune systems are put to the test when faced with any form of infection, especially with the COVID-19 pandemic. CBD assists with many physical health issues, including the following:
- Enhances the Immune System — Keeping our immune systems strong and healthy is vital, and CBD contributes to building strong immunity.
- Improves Lung Function — The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD help reduce lung damage due to COVID-19.
- Cytokine storm caused by COVID-19 — Cytokines are proteins that respond to infections by causing an increase in inflammation. However, if there is an overreaction, as is the case with COVID-19, too much inflammation occurs, which can be deadly. CBD may help reduce cytokine storm and inflammation in COVID-19.
Different Forms of CBD
CBD is available in various forms, such as edibles, flowers, oils, tinctures, creams, and even beauty products.
Depending on the form taken, the absorption time can vary. The quickest absorption comes from smoking or vaping. Ingesting edibles takes the longest due to the breakdown process; creams also have a longer absorption time due to the skin barrier.
There are many ways to obtain CBD, including everything from a local shop to telehealth platforms. Telehealth is a particularly innovative solution, as it allows people to have a virtual consultation with a physician to find the right form of CBD for their individual needs. It has become increasingly popular during the pandemic, both due to increased mental health concerns and a greater need for social distancing.
The Pandemic’s Affect on the CBD Industry
The pandemic continues to affect every country worldwide. While the COVID-19 pandemic has adversely impacted most businesses, the CBD industry is booming. Reasons for this trend include:
- Cannabis is considered essential — Many US states have deemed cannabis an essential service, allowing dispensaries to remain open during lockdowns.
- Stay-at-home regulations — Due to the lockdown and avoiding social activities, there has been a drastic increase in people suffering from anxiety and depression. Many opt to use CBD to manage these new mental health conditions.
- Assistance to terminally ill patients — With the stay-at-home restrictions, many terminally ill patients had difficulty getting their prescriptions. CBD is a natural alternative that also helps with sleep and muscle and joint pain. Many of these patients used CBD when they were not able to obtain prescriptions.
- No prescription required — CBD does not require a prescription and can be purchased online even with stay-at-home regulations.
The pandemic has created intense fear and mental health issues in many. People want relief, and with the availability of online CBD, sales have escalated. Finding relief in turbulent times can be accomplished in natural and non-addictive ways with CBD. However long the pandemic extends, CBD can be the mental and physical life raft needed to help endure the unprecedented challenges created by COVID-19.
How the Pandemic is Affecting the CBD Industry
DISCLAIMER: THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this website, are for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.